Friday, April 27, 2012

Siesta Time

One thing people from other parts of India and the rest of world (excluding the Mediterranean) don't understand about Goa, is Siesta time. 'Why are all the shops closed in the afternoon?' is something I hear all the time. From around 1pm to 4pm, most of Goa is either lunching or napping and the streets are empty... Panjim empties out, except for one crazy lady wandering around in the midday heat taking random photographs of downed shutters.


Though I have to say it works the other way too, when I travel outside of Goa, I'm always saying, 'but its lunch time... all the shops will be closed...' and then I catch myself. I lived in Melbourne for 2 years, and their work culture is the complete opposite of Goa, everything opens at 8 am and shuts at 5 pm. So, I would leisurely head out, post-siesta time, only to find the shops were all closing. Took me a while to get used to it!

locked and bolted till 4pm
I love Siesta time though, who wouldn't? escaping the afternoon heat with long lunches and naps... what's not to love?

This sweet old man preferred people watching to napping.



One thing though, no matter what time of the day, the bars are always open! In Goa, you will never want for a drink and you are never more than just a few steps away from the local corner bar.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings!This is the susegad lifestyle of the goankars!!But maybe smart considering its pretty hot during 1-4pm.still one of the best places on earth:more power to Goa and lets enjoy the wonderful beaches,churches,temples and wonderful cuisine.Nice article!

    ReplyDelete